Saturday, July 14, 2012

Make a bracelet from an old t shirt

Dear Chicago House,

I always knew I was destined to be the shortest member of my household. I am 5'7" and Chicago teenager "over took" me about 6 months ago. Her closet needs a good sort out as there are so many things that don't fit.

So I had a little sort and ended up with a bundle.

But before donating to Goodwill, I thought I'd have a go at making something from old t shirts and this is what I came up with.

A braided memory wire bracelet

t shirt memory wire bracelet
And you can make one too!

This is what you need

  1. Old t shirts
  2. String
  3. Scissors
  4. Memory Wire
  5. Pliers
And this is what you do
  1. Cut 1" wide long strips of fabric from your t shirts, mine were about 16"
  2. Stretch each strip so they start to roll into itself.
  3. Cut a length of string the same length as your stretched fabric strips.
  4. Knot two strips and the string together.
  5. Cut a length of memory wire (I used a loop and a half)
  6. Place your knotted bundle at the end of the wire and start braiding
  7. When braiding go under and over the memory wire to incorporate it.
  8. When you reach the end knot your braid and snip off the ends.
I made three in total. The pink and blue one was from a stripy shirt.

t shirt memory wire bracelet
t shirt memory wire bracelet


What have you made from old t shirts?

Love from

Creative in Chicago

XX

No comments:

Post a Comment